Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of Australia Inc.

Lighthouses of Australia Inc. is a non-profit organisation which aims to create a higher profile for Australian lighthouses within Australia and overseas, and thereby preserve, protect and promote their place within our history.

The site includes a comprehensive list of lighthouses in each state, with relevant photos, technical data, history, access details along with links to other lighthouse organisations, museums, resources and other information.

Quick Links
Lighthouse News
Membership Information
Latest Bulletin
Feature Article


Lighting of Point Malcolm Lighthouse after 85 Years

On Friday 28 and Saturday 29 of October 2016 the Point Malcolm Lighthouse will be shining after 85 years as a home to the pigeons and a resident tiger snake. The lighting will be a part of the 150th Meningie Celebrations and will be used to guide the Oscar W Paddle Steamer and boats from the Milang/Meningie Regatta through the Narrung Narrows into Lake Albert.

Our sincere thanks to Australian Maritime Safety Authority for their co-operation and support in providing the Lantern to enable the re lighting to go ahead. The Lighthouses will be fitted with a battery operated Pharos Marine FA-250 Marine lantern. The Light will flash an occulting character; White (occ) flash 5 seconds 3 Seconds on and 2 seconds off.

For the weekend celebrations the Lighthouse will be have the light installed prior to the weekend celebrations and will be open to the public on Friday afternoon 28 and the morning of Saturday 29 of October 2016. During this time it will be manned by members of Lighthouses of Australia to pass on information to visitors. The Oscar W will arrive at Narrung on Friday 28th October and be moored at the Narrung Jetty during the festivities at Narrung and the Lighthouse will be a light from dusk for those wishing to take photographs.

On Saturday 29th the Lighthouse will be open to the public during the morning and while the Oscar W and other boats in the Milang to Meningie Regatta travel through the Narrung Narrows toward Meningie. The lighthouse will be re lit at dusk on Saturday for approx. 2 hours for those who wish to view the Lighthouse operating again.

For information on the 150th Meningie Celebrations, visit

Point Malcolm Lighthouse History

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse is Australia's only inland lighthouse, and may be the only inland lighthouse in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Point Malcolm Lighthouse was built in 1878 on the eastern side of the Narrung narrows to mark the entrance between Lake Alexandria and Lake Albert, opposite the township of Narrung, a small Aboriginal community.

In the late 1800’s Victor Harbor was an important export port for riverine delivered produce carried on the Murray River and lakes systems. In addition isolated farms, homesteads and settlements were dependent on the steamers and other boats for supplies and transportation. Fishing boats, sailing vessels and cargo steamers regularly plied the waterways, and travellers between Adelaide and Melbourne sailed across the lakes by steamer to reduce the long road trip; all influenced the need for the construction of the Lighthouse.

The lighthouse was built by Richard Trenouth, a well-known builder from Strathalbyn, at a cost of £1,043 for both the tower and keeper's cottage. The light was first exhibited on 1 February 1878.

By the early twentieth century the paddle steamers Judith, Milang and Murray were carrying passengers, goods and mail up to three times a week between Milang, Narrung and Meningie.

The Lighthouse keepers were self-sufficient and sold extra produce to locals. They stored it in a small cave near the riverbank, which was cool and damp, while they waited for a boat to transport it to town for sale. A hole in the ground near the lighthouse dropped immediately to the cave below and still can be seen today.

After operating for 59 years the lighthouse was turned off in September 1931, due a decline in river traffic. The switching off was stated in Notice to Mariners No. 3 of 1931, issued by the South Australian Harbours Board. Although on private land the lighthouse can be accessed from the Narrung/Poltalloch Road near the Narrung Ferry. The Keepers’ cottages are on private land and are being restored for private use by the owners of Poltalloch Station.

An automatic "light on a pole" has been installed next to the old tower, to guide recreational and commercial traffic using the river and lake system.


State Indexes

Lighthouses of Tasmania Lighthouses of South Australia Lighthouses of Western Australia Lighthouses of the Northern Territory Lighthouses of Queensland Lighthouses of New South Wales Lighthouses of Victoria
Tasmania South Australia Western Australia Northern Territory Queensland New South Wales Victoria


Copyright © All rights reserved.