|Home||State Indexes||Bulletin||About LoA||Membership||Resources & Links||Contact LoA||Search||Sitemap|
Lighthouses of Queensland
|State Indexes > QLD > New Caloundra Lighthouse|
The new Caloundra Lighthouse built in 1967
Photograph: Grant Maizels
The New Caloundra Lighthouse
The new Caloundra Lighthouse was short-lived in comparison to its predecessor, due to its light being obscured by the growth of high rise buildings in Caloundra.
Last Operation (1997)
|LOCATION:||Latitude 26° 48'S; Longitude 153° 08'E|
|OPERATOR||Queensland Department of Harbours and Marine|
|CHARACTER:||2 Flashes Every 10 Seconds|
|LIGHT SOURCE:||200 Watt Sealed Beam Lamp Array|
|POWER SOURCE:||Mains Electricity, Battery Backup|
|RANGE:||24 nautical miles|
|DEACTIVATED:||Signal Station 1992; Light 1997|
The First Caloundra Lighthouse was established in 1896 and was the typical Queensland tower; a timber frame with metal cladding.
In 1967 a new lighthouse, signal tower and radar station was erected for the Caloundra Harbour was erected next to the old lighthouse on Canberra Terrace.
The old light was discontinued in 1968 and later shifted to Golden Beach.
Red (note photograph left) and green sectors were incorporated in the light.
The new light has quickly become ineffective with the increase in height of buildings in Caloundra.
In 1978 a new coastal light was constructed at Point Cartwright, 14 kilometres to the north.
To allow further development to proceed, the Harbour light was relocated in 1992 to an unobscured position on top of the "Seapoint" units at Wickham Point, with the original remaining on standby.
The light would have been automatic, but the lighthouse still served as a signal station therefore employing signalmen.
The Surrounding Area
The old and new Caloundra lighthouses side-by-side
Photograph: Denise Shultz
The old and new Caloundra lighthouses
Photograph: Annette Flotwell
|Caloundra Trip With Denise Shultz||Bulletin Apr 01|
|Annette Flotwell's East Coast Lighthouse Trip: Part 2||Bulletin Aug 03|
Other New Caloundra Sites
|New Caloundra Lighthouse||Grant Maizels|
Special Thanks to:
Site constructed by: