Lighthouses of Australia Project - MARCH 99 BULLETIN

Dear Friends
Tasmanian Expedition (Part 2)
Notice Board
Department of Scrounge
New Pages for Australia
New Links for Australia
New Links for World
Australian News
Thanks To
Text Only eMail
Past Bulletins

Dear Friends

More New Lighthouses Pages on the Way

As a result of The Tasmanian Expedition and several photographers who have really embraced the Project many new pages are on the verge of becoming reality.

About 300 plus photos have been scanned and dozens of documents collated and scanned in the last 5 weeks.

Most of the major lights should be represented by the end of this year with the Northern Territory and Queensland remaining a problem. Hopefully next year will only be spent tracking down minor lights, with the exception of some of the majors.

Great Feedback

Sometimes when working on this project I feel a little bogged down because there is so much to do and often the months tick away without much to show for it. So when I get feedback like the following, it's just what I need to gather up my energy and keep going.

"This is one of the most exciting pages on the web. I could spend a lot of time here. Thanks for all this interesting information. I live on an island in the middle of the Baltic sea but there are not many lighthouses around here.

With the best regards Monika Södergren, Sweden"

Huge Bulletin This Month

Apologies for the size of the Bulletin this month.

With the Expedition report and several last minute reports arriving it has gone way over the predicted size. To cope with this many of the picture s have been scaled down.

Tasmanian Expedition Report: (Part 2 of 4):

Part 1: May 1999 Bulletin

[by Deborah Taylor]

Day 3: Saturday 17.4.99

No lighthouses today! A trip to Tasmania would be not be complete with visiting Cradle Mountain, with all its beauty atop the state's rugged wilderness area.

The weather is perfect for a flight, enabling us to see the immensity of these mountain ranges. I had no idea this place was so vast. You hear lots of stories but nothing really registers until you see it from such a height!

After the flight time to eat, menu includes a Devil Burger!

Entrance to the Park will see you handing over nine dollars, but they give you a sticker to make you feel better! Time is limited so we make our way to Lake Dove and the mountain.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Malcolm and Deborah at the magnificent Cradle Mountain
[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

It's impressive; we are blessed apparently, as a day like this is very rare, estimated at only thirty odd days of the year. Last time Smithy was here it was covered in snow and it was the coldest weather he had ever experienced.

Heading now for Queenstown to spend the night. countryside changes to fresh green, temperature drop dramatically and low clouds and mist hover over the mountains.

Arrive at nightfall, some might say that is a blessing but the town has an unexpected pleasant feeling. We locate our accommodation, an old miners camp much like a military compound. the kitchen has a huge old cast iron stove laying dormant near its replacement. High-lights of the night include a young miner entertaining us with family history and Smithy wrestling with a blocked sink.

Day 4: Sunday 18.4.99

A quick scout around town reveals a change in local attitude toward replanting trees and mending the immense damage done by Copper Mining.

Heading now for Strahan. Beautiful Strahan. The morning is still cool and damp. we decide to check out the accommodation first and find it is very pleasing, a village feel set amongst the trees and wild gardens. Crab apple and apple trees begging for a harvest, much to my annoyance.

Set out to the car in town to meet with Allan Coates, the Parks and Wildlife officer. We see the twin cab ute and boat attached waiting and ready.

Allan takes us along a gravel road and stops to admire the Yellow Tailed black Cockatoos. I figure from this that he is a man who feels at home with his place and his work.

We arrive at our destination, a jetty across the road from a shanty group of fishermans' huts. Allan sets about launching the boat, while three men arrive in a small boat, one complaining about a big hang-over from the party the night before. This we learn is quite significant.

We head out over the harbour, the water is dark brown from the tannin that comes into from the surrounding wilderness. We head on toward the narrow entrance to a huge harbour. This was aptly named by the early convicts who manned a signal station there "Hells Gates".

We pass the two small lighthouses that mark the entrance to Macquarie Harbour. They are quite quaint and almost toy like.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The Entrance Island Lighthouse
[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The Bonnet Island Lighthouse
[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

We pull up at a jetty just before Hells Gates below some isolated houses strung across the embankment up a small hill.

One house immediately attracts my attention, obviously a fisherman's house with lobster traps across the front, silhouettes of sea horse and the like are attached to the house. The rocks across the front and down the pathway are painted in bright colours, this is definitely worth recording. The house belongs to Les, a local character of some note, the same gentleman whom we had meet earlier complaining of a hang over when we were launching the boat. I think they we amused by my request to photograph their house - tourist are so quaint!

Striding up the garden path we arrived at Laurie and Julie Jones house, a lovely old white unprententious country home, one that make you feel at ease instantly. (OK Malcolm's obsessed with lighthouses, I'm obsessed with houses). This house, Les's house and a third house were originally keepers cottages for the Hells Gate Lighthouses and oversaw the complex at the nearby Cape Sorell Lighthouse.

Anyway Laurie emerges after awhile looking a bit worse for wear, and annouces he is suffering from a hangover. Hmm. It comes to light that the previous night was the last night of the Mutton Bird season and coincidently the end of season party. Now this may not seem newsworthy to you but Malcolm and Smithy had planted this nasty idea in my head that he was taking us out to sea to shoot pictures of the Cape Sorell lighthouse.

Of course if I hadn't admited to feeling some apprehension about little boats on lots of water I probably would have judged Laurie a little more fairly.

"Well" said Laurie, "I"m feeling a bit seedy, can you come back in hour or so after I've had my first coffee or two! - I thought that was a splendid idea.

Back to the jetty, Malcolm and Allan decide that while the weather is a known quantity we will head out through Hells Gates around to photograph the Cape Sorell Lighthouse from the seaward side. Allan turns the boat and heads towards the entrance and the Cape. First, so far so good, it's not so bad out there, after all, I think I am enjoying this small boat on a lot of water experience.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Heading out from Hells Gate past the Entrance Island Lighthouse
[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

Pass through Hells Gates. Now sometimes pride can save you from saying things that you may later regret. Like a lamb to the slaughter, we head out to the open sea. I am sure you have realised by now that I don't like this one little bit. But it's funny how your fear is never as menacing when you actually confront it face on.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Allan steering boat with Cape Sorell Lighthouse in background
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

The sea is black (tannin from the harbour) and the rise and fall of the little boat gives way to a whole new realisation and understanding. A new understanding that I had little to worry about when I thought of how the pioneers had faced these waters too with far more apprehension and a lot more to lose.

It's something we have come to realise on this trip, a new appreciation for the ingenuity, tenacity and even the audacity of these pioneers. As we would come to realise mnore and more, the obstacles these people would have faced would seem insurnountable to us without our bulldozers and cranes, telecomunications, computer aided equipment and thermal underwear!

Of course it must be realised that their audacity meant the wholsesale destruction of paradise in both human and environmental terms.

Further and further we head out to sea and Cape Sorell Lighthouse becomes visible. Alan takes us closer to a great vantage point to shoot the lighthouse, but the swell is so great (that's the story I'm sticking too) it's difficult for Smithy to gain a steady stance.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Smithy steadies to shoot the Cape Sorell Lighthouse
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

Allan turns the boat around which makes it more steady for Smithy to shoot. Satisfied with this we head back to the harbour and shoot the two small Hells Gate lighthouses.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Malcolm with Bonnet Island Lighthouse to the rear
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

Laurie has made a miraculous caffiene induced recovery and invites us in to indulge too. As we sit around the kitchen table with coffee and bickies I am truly touched by both the humility of these people and their unpretentious view of serious environmental concern. Alan, on this trip, is serving the dual role of both accompanying us and documenting some local concerns that hopefully come within the juristiction of the Lands Department.

Everybody out now to the Land Rover. Smithy, Julie and Allan in the back, the tray is fitted (sort of) with an old Ford bench seat. Malcolm gets the front seat (because he's the great colaborator of knowledge). I'm invited to squeeze in between Malcolm and Laurie thanks to Julies insistence.

This Land Rover is an icon of the pioneer spirit too! Upholstered with fertiliser sacking and the ubiquitous dunny roll on the dash, this old machine ground its way over hill and dale.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The unique interior of Laurie's Land Rover
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

The track was an old tramway that had supplied the materials to build the Cape Sorell Lighthouse then later used for supplies. It was extremenly overgrown, but out here it is the main highway! Even inside the cab branchs visciously swipe in through the open windows at us. Apparently Smithy nearly fell out, or off, a few times. Pretty good ride in the front after all.

Of course these two bastards still haven't told me there is no boat trip here, so as the Cape Sorell Lighthouse emerges I am both relieved and fascinated by it presence or rather its dominance over its surroundings.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The dominating Cape Sorell Lighthouse is the tallest on the Tasmanian mainland
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

This is a truly majestic lighthouse, the tallest on the main island of Tasmania, a stunning white tower of 37 metres.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
From the left: Deborah, Julie, Allan, Malcolm & Laurie
[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

Laurie recalls stories of how he grew up here with the lighthouse imbued in his history. He told of the warm hospitality of the keepers families, alway tea and scones. He remembers sadly how in the 1960's, after the light was automated and the keepers' families had left, the beaurocrats from far way ordered the demolition of the keepers cottages.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The foundations of the Cape Sorell Lighthouse cottages
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

The outlines of the foundations are still visible in the ground and you cannot but wonder who steers our destiny. Remains of old the tramway can also be seen here and there.

Out here, the rest of Australia seems a thousand miles away. The ocean below is clear around this side of the Cape and Julie fires my envy with stories of their finds. Malcolm is busy soaking in all the information he can from Laurie, and Allan. Smithys off somewhere clambouring over rocks, which recalls our ongoing joke about "man falls off Tasmania". Also Smithy (Indiana) was bitten by a jumping ant - told (by Smithy) to document this!

Travelling back by a quiet beach we stop for Allan to document some more problems in need of attention. Then back to Julie and Lauries for a cuppa. An hour or so elapses, then we are back at the jetty heading off for Strahan.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Laurie and Julie on the step of the old keepers cottage at Hells Gate
[Photograph: Deborah Taylor]

Dinner around the harbour at the Regatta Tavern, the locals choice, and discuss our choices for the next day. As time is limited we pass up on cruise up the Gordon River, but somehow we feel a cosy cruise just isn't going to cut it!

Day 5: Monday 19.4.99

Car won't start. Malcolm?! Much ado turns out to be a flat battery. Pull out of Strahan to head to the King River around 10:30; rained nearly all morning, patchy there onwards.

For readers unfamiliar with this part of Tasmania, Strahan is located at the end of the huge but quiet Macquarie Harbour and is surrounded by largely impenetrable rainforest.

There are very few roads in this wilderness which is why we had to take the boat across to Lauries and Julie's to begin our trek over to the Cape Sorell Lighthouse.

The famous Gordon River, the King River and whole immense wilderness are very carefully and diligently managed but sadly the scars from history remain evident along the banks of the King River.

As we drove up the road beside the river we experience the immense damage done in the past by discharge from the copper mine at Queenstown. The banks of the river are heavily silted and lunar like.

Reached a point where the road, built on the bed of the old ABT railway, is no longer open for public vehicles so we continued on foot.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The old box girder steel bridge

[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

Remains of the railway are barely visible. Walked across the old box girder steel bridge, still standing, though warning signs are clear about its declining strength. This substantial box girder steel railway bridge was part of the ABT railway built by early miners to get access to the sea at Strahan from Queenstown. Further up are the remains of famous 'Quarter Mile Railway Bridge'. This was another remarkable feat of persisitance and endurance. It's enough to make you wonder how they even cut their way through this stuff let alone the construction process. This area was so isolated and rugged that during the railway's construction the women refused to come here with their men.

Locals were very excited about a tourist operators plan and the Federal Funds available to rebuild this historic railway as a tourist venture.

Back to Strahan for lunch. Malcolm catches up with Daryl Gerrity, the current Port Officer, who, though not a local, is a character of some note.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Waiting for Harry at Strahan

[Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas]

We have made an appointment with Harry McDermont, one of Daryl's predecessors, and a former harbour master. We meet Harry in the car park we he then showed us the way to his sister Kath's house. Once at her house and introduced, she showed a picture of the Cape Sorell Lighthouse taken in 1958 with the keepers cottages still intact. Born at Strahan, they recalled the significance of the lighthouse in their lives. Harry remembered how as a small boy the light would shine through his bedroom window, that quite a significant distance!

The mornings edition of the Sunday Tasmanian had carried an article featuring the activities of the expedition and a steady stream of calls started to come in on the mobile.

Left Strahan and drove back to Queenstown as heavy rain started to set in.

Had a quick look around Queenstown discovering that village like areas that made up the town. Each was established cleary on the historical position their tenant group in relation to the mine hierachy.

As we leave town we pass the famous Queenstown football oval. It has gravel for its playing surface rather than grass. As with the rest of the town the side effect of the copper mining had stripped much of the vegetation and inhibited regrowth. Malcolm recounts to us how he remembered hearing about this ground years ago, especially that each player had strapped to his leg a bottle of Dettol (disinfectant) to treat any scatch and wounds!

Continuing out of Queenstown toward Hobart the road draped itself around the mountains like a loose thread. Decades of copper mining have stripped the mountains bare of all vegetation and we find ourselves trying to assess an opinion cast between repulsion and fascination. The colours change from orange and brown to grey-blue and mauve, all enhanced by rain and topped off by a spectacular waterfall hanging from a mountain top as we leave the desolation.

The third part of this four part Expedition Report will appear in the July 99 Bulletin.

Notice Board:

Any Inquiries or Notices Regarding Australian Lighthouse are welcome here

Please eMail <Keeper>

Department of Scrounge:

If anybody has any of this material on any Australian lighthouses including the ones listed at the Department of Scrounge it would appreciated, especially the high priority ones:

  • Original Colour Photographs
  • Historical Photographs or Postcards
  • History, experiences and anecdotes
  • Technical History

Please eMail <Keeper>

New Pages for Australia:

The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse The Smoky Cape Lighthouse New.gif (158 bytes)
The Moore Point Lighthouse at GeraldtonNew.gif (158 bytes) Lighthouse Organisations, Etc
The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse The Main Lighthouse on Rottnest Island New.gif (158 bytes)
The Eddystone Point LighthouseNew.gif (158 bytes) Lighthouse Organisations, Etc

If your e-mail does not display in HTML these pages can be accessed from the "New Listing for Month Index" at <>

New Links for Australia:

No new links for Australia this month

If your e-mail does not display in HTML these pages can be accessed from the "New Listing for Month Index" at <>

Also, New Links for World:

The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse Historia Dos Faros Do Porto De Vilagarcia in Spanish New.gif (158 bytes)
The Lighthouses of the Port of Santanders in SpanishNew.gif (158 bytes) Lighthouse Organisations, Etc
The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse The Tourist List of Lighthouses (Faros) in Spanish New.gif (158 bytes)
The Faros of Uruguay in SpanishNew.gif (158 bytes) Lighthouse Organisations, Etc
The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse The Lighthouses of the Malayan PeninsularNew.gif (158 bytes)
The Lighthouses of SabahNew.gif (158 bytes) Lighthouse Organisations, Etc

If your e-mail does not display in HTML these pages can be accessed from the "New Listing for Month Index" at <>

Australian News:

Special Old Caloundra Lighthouse Report

[Roger Todd, Consulting Architect]

The series of photos shows the series of events leading up to the accident on the 22nd March (see May Bulletin).

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Lifting the lantern off the tower
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

The lantern was detached, lifted off, and trucked to the workshop successfully.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The lantern is placed on the truck
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

The base was separated from its concrete slab, lifted vertically from lift points in the top of the structure, and swung around over the road.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Preparing to lift the tower
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

Part of the new bottom plate was attached with the base in mid air, then a second crane was used to rotate the base into a horizontal position (from a lift point above the door). This point was cross braced such that loadings were shared between six studs.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Lifting the tower of the base
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Preparing the tower to go on the low-loader
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

When the low loader was about to be backed in under, this point gave way and the lower section dropped about one metre to the ground.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
Oops, the brittle frame has given way!
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The tower is placed on the ground while the damage is assessed
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

We are now “picking up the pieces” so to speak. The insurance monies of $19,000 are in the pipeline, the lantern is undergoing repair, and work on the base is well underway.

We have installed additional bracing within.

This morning we lifted it about one metre and have installed supports. This will enable us to repair the broken studs and complete the internal bracing.

If the weather remains fine, I would expect the next move (back to its original site at Canberra Tce) on Friday 4th or 7th June .

The attached photo shows the lantern after sandblasting. I was pleasantly surprised that rust damage was not more severe.

The Old Caloundra Lighthouse after the accident. [Photograph Courtesy: The Courier Mail]
The lantern after sandblasting
[Photograph Courtesy: Roger Todd]

Newspaper Article Marks Point Perpendicular 100th

[Alan Clark, South Coast Register]

THE FIRST flashes of light from the Point Perpendicular Lighthouse went out to shipping 100 years ago, on Monday, May 1, 1899.

The old Point Perpendicular Lighthouse is to celebrate 100 Years [Photograph: Ian Clifford]
100 years old on Monday, May 1, 1999
[Photograph: Brian Lord]

It was a momentous occasion for the steamships which travelled the South Coast route, providing a far greater amount of safety than what they had previously been able to rely on.

In use since June 1860, the Cape St George Lighthouse on the opposite side of Jervis Bay had been incorrectly sited (convenient to a quarry) by the contractor.

Despite the problems which it posed for the vessels which sought shelter in Jervis Bay from bad weather, it took almost 40 years for the error to be corrected.

On the opening night in 1899, the Point Perpendicular light was reported to have been clearly seen from Kiama Lighthouse, some 28 miles away.

The Shoalhaven Telegraph report stated that the height from high water mark to the focal plane of the lamp was 304 feet, and that the light would be visible to shipping at a distance of 20 miles.

Some Nowra residents attended the opening ceremony, the visitors' book including a small group headed by coaching manager George Thomson.

However it was mainly an occasion for the Works Department as it formally handed over the lighthouse to the Marine Board.

Dignitaries travelled from Sydney on the steamer 'Thetis' for the opening, and they had been preceded a few days earlier by Government Astronomer Russell who had taken bearings for observatory purposes.

Heading the guests was Charles Assinder Harding, Architect of the Harbours and Rivers Branch of the Public Works Department, who designed this lighthouse, along with others at Cape Byron and Norah Head.

Ten days earlier he had visited the site with his superior, Engineer-in-Chief for Public Works, Cecil Darley who was so impressed that he decided this design should be adopted for other future lighthouse work.

With the opening of the Point Perpendicular Lighthouse, the old one at Cape St George was decommissioned.

After its 1860 opening, it took very little time for the Cape St George location to be found inadequate.

A conference of Principal Officers of Marine Departments in 1873 recommended that a harbour light be established on Bowen Island; while Crocodile Head was also considered.

The decision to select Point Perpendicular was made in September 1883 when Colonial Architect James Barnet and Captain Francis Hixson of the Marine Board were in a party which visited Jervis Bay.

Darley, Harding and Principal Assistant Engineer, H. R. Carleton were all involved in planning for the new lighthouse.

Tenders were eventually called on April 15, 1897, and the contract went to Edward H. Kelly of Lane Cove.

However well before this could be done, there needed to be access to the lighthouse site, both by sea and by road.

Early 1896 saw a contact won by George Smith of Tomerong, for three miles of roadway from the site towards Camp Bay.

His team included a brother Alex, and by the time the lighthouse was opened, they were preparing to leave for the Boer War.

With little surface soil on the site, contractor Kelly had no problems in getting a solid rock foundation.

By September of 1897, the local press enthusiastically reported that the "new lighthouse is being gradually built and is now visible from Cambewarra Mountain".

The Daily Telegraph predicted that work would be completed "in about eight months".

Although this timing was a little ambitious, progress was certainly being made.

An L-shaped jetty some 200 feet long and 12 feet wide was nearing completion, some five miles north-west of the lighthouse complex in an area now known as Bindijine Beach.

The schooner, Alice Templeton had unloaded a cargo of cement at the wharf, and this was temporarily placed in the adjacent storeroom.

George Smith had about 30 men employed in quarrying metal for the concrete, while trenches were being prepared for the foundations.

This was the first lighthouse to be constructed in New South Wales, using pre-cast concrete blocks, a technique which required no formwork for the tower.

The blocks varied in size and shape, but were mostly in courses 12 inches high.

A Jervis Bay correspondent inspected the work during March of 1898, and his report in the Shoalhaven Telegraph depicted a depressing scene:

"The new lighthouse site is a miserable, bleak wilderness of rock and ocean, with nothing to break the dreary monotony except a passing steamer, or the occasional boom and whirr of a projectile which has been launched from one of the great warships that are so frequently haunting our coasts of late."

The complex included the lighthouse, head keeper's residence, a duplex cottage for the assistant lightkeepers, signal house, flagstaff, stables and outbuildings, jetty and fuel store, and the total cost was £20,280/17/1.

The circular tower was 44 feet to the top of the walling, with an internal diameter of 11 -feet nine-inches.

It was divided into three stories, by concrete floors which were paved with small black and white tiles.

Staircases three feet wide were constructed as part of the building, and there was a handrail of two-inch heavy brass tubing.

The experienced William Parker was the chief lighthouse keeper, having held a similar position at Cape St George.

His assistants were William Simpson and Arthur Bailey.

Located some 70 feet south of the lighthouse, their residences were each served by an underground water tank of 6,500 gallons, kept filled by the rain which ran from the roofs.

The two-stall stable and coachhouse served as a reminder of the mode of transport when the keepers and their families wished to "go to town".

A 1915 report indicated that the nearest school was at Huskisson (12 miles), while the nearest doctor and hospital was 30 miles away at Nowra.

There was a weekly mail service, and the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company's vessels from Sydney also regularly called at the jetty.

The original lighting apparatus weighed 33 tons, and the revolving white light flashed every 20 seconds.

Its strength was 100,000 candlepower, but the intensity of that light would be more than trebled by 1923.

In 1964 the light was converted to electric operation with diesel alternators located in the former stables.

The automatic light came into use on July 5, 1993.

(Apart from independent research from local newspapers for this article, acknowledgement is made to Clive Lucas, Stapleton and Partners Pty Ltd, for information contained its 1993 conservation management plan; and the Lady Denman Museum.)

Plan to save Point Stephens Lighthouse cottages

[Article in the Point Stephens 'Examiner' Wed. April 14 1999]

Tenders are being called today in another step towards saving and hopefully restoring the ruins of the Point Stephens lighthouse off Fingal Bay.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service, which has responsibility for the 29ha island across the Fingal Spit, is calling for contractors to tender on preserving the ruins of the lighthouse residence and the cost of possibly roofing the 136-year old structure.

Light, camera...cameraman Ian Jones and the Aireys Inlet Lighthouse. [Photograph: Tony Kerrigan]
The Point Stephens Lighthouse cottages to be stablised and roofed?
[Photograph: Brian Lord]

As well, the service wants tenders from the consultants for the preparation of a management plan to conserve the World War Two gun emplacements and other coastal defenses on Tomaree Headland at Shoal Bay.

A service spokesman for the project, Michael Murphy, said the most urgent job at the lighthouse was the chimneys and some of the lintels over the doorways.

"We're not sure how far we can go with this project but the tender will provide a more accurate guide to costs," he said.

He said total restoration of the residence, ravaged by fire lit by vandals in 1991, could cost as much as $1 million.

He expected a management plan for the Point Stephens reserve to be released soon for public comment.

Thanks to the Following People for Their Help in May:

Joan Knapp (Correction)
Ross Harper (Photos)
Roger Todd (Photos & Info)
Dave Wigger (Photos & Info)
George Isaacs (Photos & Info)
Dennis Randall (Info)
Peter Ralph (Photos)
Beverley Atkins (Info)
David Gray (Info)
Bob Dawson (Photos)
Maurice Glasson (Info)

Thanks to all the people who have put links to the site

Thanks to those who let me use their photos for thumbnails.

Regards until the July 99 Bulletin
Malcolm Macdonald

This Months Bulletin for those with Text Only eMail:

If you have clear text, but no graphics or pictures, and would like to view this Bulletin in HTML, you can:

1. Click on the link below to open your browser and view the HTML version on our site.


2. Copy the link below to your browser to view the HTML version on our site.


3. Upgrade to at least:

a) Netscape Navigator version 3.0 or Netscape Communicator version 4.0, both of which can be downloaded from:


b) Internet Explorer 4 with Outlook Express, both of which can be downloaded from:


Past Bulletins:

Past Monthly News, Preservation or Access Bulletins can be accessed from the "Bulletins Index" at <>

To Get Your Monthly Bulletin Free:


Join Lighthouses of Australia Inc.

It is up to those of you who believe in the Preservation, Protection and Promotion of Australia's lighthouse heritage to throw your hat into the ring, whether it just be a financial member or direct involvement on the committee, web pages, the Bulletin or some other aspect that could enrich the site.

Or printer-friendly versions Membership Forms with card payment authorities that can be mailed:

HTML (recommended), or
Word 2002 (strictly 2000 or XP)

While we are in the process of setting up secure payments, we request that you open one of the Printer Friendly Versions above, print the form, fill in your details and post with payment.

Cheques must be in Australian Dollars.


The JUNE 99 BULLETIN was published on: 4/6/99

The bulletin is prepared in Dreamweaver 2 and tested on Netscape Messenger 4, Outlook Express (IE 4) and Eudora 3.   Problems do occur with Eudora and don't seem to be resolved without downgrading the integrity of the Bulletin.  With Eudora 3 I recommend you open the Bulletin, Right Click over it, and select "Copy to Browser" to view as a HTML formated document.

Lighthouses of Australia Web Site First Published: 3/12/97

Photographs & Contributions:

Alan Clark, South Coast Register
Brian Lord
Deborah Taylor
Dennis Randall
Ed Kavaliunas
Port Stephens Examiner
Roger Todd

Site Constructed and Maintained by: Lighthouse Computer Training & Development

Contact: Web Keeper


©1997 - 2001 Lighthouse Computer Training & Development
© 2002 - 2003 Lighthouses of Australia Inc.

Using Material from This Page